Discussion Forums  >  Capturing Images, Uploading Data

Replies: 2    Views: 282

Bonzo
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 30, 2012
Basingstoke
05/09/14 01:16 AM (9 years ago)

IMage with GPS Co-ordinates

Hey! Is it possible to have a picture upload functionality that can capture device co-ords at the time of upload so the image can become a Pin on a map?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/09/14 02:55 AM (9 years ago)
Hmm… I suppose there could be a couple of ways to approach this (probably more, but so far, two are all my weak brain can comprehend…) One would be to Geotag the image while in the iPhone. Actually that gives me a good idea, but I'll not digress. You'd probably want to use code from here in a custom plugin if that were the route you'd want to take: https://github.com/gpambrozio/GusUtils Of course, where ever the image finally landed would need the resources to 'obtain' that geotag metadata from the image, and produce your map pin. 'Probably' easier would be to have the information inserted into a database along with the photo information on upload. A few more moving parts, but in easier to digest steps. You'd want to record the geo coordinates and photo filename at the time the image was taken, and store it in something like userPrefs until upload, and send all of the information to a php script written to accomodate it in conjunction with a MySql database for the plugin. And of course, there might be other ways too, but those might get you started… Cheers! -- Smug Edit: I guess I didn't ask if you wanted this capability all 'within' the phone or what… Of course, option 1 could be done within the phone, if needed. Option 2 would require some kind of data connection.

Bonzo
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 30, 2012
Basingstoke
05/09/14 04:25 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for taking the time to reply Smug I'd be OK with PHP and MySQL. seems abit harder than i thought though. Time to wait for a plugin to get release :)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.