Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 9    Views: 360

TurkeyFace
Lost but trying
Reg: Aug 23, 2014
NYC
04/12/15 04:18 PM (9 years ago)

iOS App Not Refreshing

Okay, I've been having a problem with my iOS app refreshing. It is already published in the Apple App Store. I made an app for a podcast so every week I add a line to the Menu Simple plugin which points to a new Stream Audio plugin screen. After hitting publish, the doesn't show the new additions. (It works properly for my Android version app) Here's some details: I am self-hosted with Buzztouch 3.0 I am in 'Live' mode, not 'Design' mode Before creating the binary, I replaced the code with [self refreshAppData]; so it would automatically refresh I don't have a Splash screen. The app loads the home screen, which is the Menu Image Buttons plugin I've tried a bunch of different things but nothing seems to work effectively. When I add a line to the Menu Simple plugin, I click save on everything just to make sure a change is recognized. When I hit publish, I tried not changing the version number and changing the version number. Both have no effect. If I click publish while I have the app open on my phone, it'll refresh but what are the odds that all the app users will be in the app when I click publish? LoL If I delete the app and re-download it from the App Store, it opens with the updated content. Anyone know what the problem is? Hopefully there's an easy solution that I'm missing out seeing. Should I get out the box of tissues cuz if I gotta submit an update to the Apple App Store, I think I will cry. LoL The review process is a nightmare!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/12/15 05:36 PM (9 years ago)
I can't say what the problem is, but the 'version' number in publish does absolutely nothing. It's only there for a developer who wants to keep track of their incremental changes. With respect to iOS, Android, etc... it means nothing; it's purely an 'administrative' indicator. Congrats on getting into the App store! That's sort of an achievement all it's own... It may not do any good 'now', but for the next release, and any subsequent apps, you may want to incorporate some code that Kittsy provided in this post: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=4E66E09A8294231DE57B8FF Cheers! -- Smug

TurkeyFace
Lost but trying
NYC
04/12/15 05:50 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the link! I've been googling and searching but couldn't find anything I could use. I kinda figured I'd have to create a new binary & upload it. I find the review process to be such a pain. A combination of the waiting time & inconsistency of the reviewers. But thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/12/15 06:17 PM (9 years ago)
Well, to be honest, I haven't had that problem with iOS. I do have that problem with Android almost *all* the time, lol! I figured it was just android being android... Regardless, good luck, and let us know how it all goes! Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
04/13/15 04:20 AM (9 years ago)
Hi @TurkeyFace, try this. Create a screen in your app of type custom text/html. Don't link it to anything, just make sure it exists in your project. When you want your app to update, open the screen, then save it. Next time you open your app, see if the app refreshes.

TurkeyFace
Lost but trying
NYC
04/13/15 06:47 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks @AlanMac for the tip but I do have a custom HTML/text screen in the app already. I tried by adding a sentence in that screen and saving it. Then hit publish, of course. My app will show the change on that screen but it won't force the app to refresh overall. I've seen that work in my Android app but not this iOS app. :( I'll give it a shot later on tonight. Doesn't hurt to try.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
04/13/15 07:00 AM (9 years ago)
Hi @TurkeyFace, my experience is that you do not have to even edit a cusom text/html screen to make the app believe it has to refresh, just a save is enough. I have a published ios app where not all the content is updated through the control panel and I find that trick always works for me. Also, I don't use Live mode, as I find it seems to let updates through without hitting publish. I don't think that should be the problem though.

TurkeyFace
Lost but trying
NYC
04/15/15 01:45 PM (9 years ago)
@AlanMac, I gave your suggest a shot. Same thing. No app refresh upon launch. Well, no app refresh at all. It will refresh if I have the app open on my phone and hit the publish button. What are the odds that all the app users have the app open when I hit the publish button? LoL I'm gonna have to use the suggestion Smug said and upload a new binary. It was worth a try. Thanks anyway.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
04/15/15 02:55 PM (9 years ago)
What happens if your app is not open on your phone, you hit publish, wait a minute or two, then open your app?

TurkeyFace
Lost but trying
NYC
04/15/15 04:02 PM (9 years ago)
Nothing. Still loads the cached configuration. I update the app every week. On my iPad, the app hasn't refreshed in 3 weeks.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.