Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 7    Views: 225

basement
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 07, 2011
Ontario
11/22/13 03:20 PM (10 years ago)

mobile intro page

slightly off topic because this is an HTML question, but as it's in reference to accessing a page on an iPhone / other mobile device I thought it relevant. How can I make my webzine "cover" page open in full screen on my iPhone 5? I've managed to make it work AFTER I 'add to home screen' and open it - then it works well, but I'd like it to work when someone accesses the site without saving it to their home screen first. Here's the example (in a subfolder because it's the December cover, which isn't launched or finalized yet!): <a href="http://indiemusicmonthly.com/tester/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://indiemusicmonthly.com/tester/</a> I also want to make the iPhone page only show in portrait mode, and the iPad page to only show in landscape mode ....how can I enforce this? Thanks!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/22/13 03:41 PM (10 years ago)
I'd work on a splash screen for this… It will open full page, you can set the desired delay until it fades off and transitions to the 'home' screen… Just my thoughts… Cheers! -- Smug

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
11/22/13 04:05 PM (10 years ago)
i have that setup to open full page splash then tap to enter https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvu6qn96eolu5vq/BuzztouchPlugIns.jpg

basement
Aspiring developer
Ontario
11/22/13 04:50 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks. I understand the confusion, being where I am, but in talking html not app.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
11/22/13 06:33 PM (10 years ago)
As all the others say, splash will do the trick. On the plugin market, you can also get an animated splash screen or random splash screen. Both are worth a look.

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
11/22/13 10:23 PM (10 years ago)
@basement is this for a native ios6,7 app or html5 web app? if the user is accessing it via a domain you are providing it will always open in the native browser of the device iphone safari, yes unless they save it to the main screen and they launch it in app mode (chromeless browser) will it open in full screen. Also you won't be able to just lock the setting in portrait mode if it's open in the browser. My app is pulling my wordpress mobile responsive site but because its compiled in xcode I can lock the position to always remain in portrait and hide the horizontal and vertical scroll bars. I have this issue with my mobile responsive sites, even if they scan a qr code or type a url the only way to get that full screen effect like your cover splash screen is to have them save the app icon to home screen there is coding that will trigger a alert window asking them to click this tab button to save to homescreen and timeout after x amount of seconds, I've researched and there is no script or coding that will trigger fullscreen after a url is entered. you would have to compile this into an app via xcode. like we've stated above a splash screen as their entry point. been there done that. hope that helps

basement
Aspiring developer
Ontario
11/23/13 08:33 AM (10 years ago)
ok. I get what you're saying. so I'd have to forward an iphone/ipad user to a "download our free app" page, then once they'd downloaded the app it would work....?

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
11/23/13 08:37 AM (10 years ago)
correct

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.