Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 11    Views: 128

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Palm Beach, Gol...
08/29/13 08:42 PM (10 years ago)

Login authentication URL?

I feel like this is a dumb question, but how do I get the authentication URL from a website to use in my app? Thanks, Jeremy

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
08/29/13 09:09 PM (10 years ago)
No questions are dumb questions. But, I don't understand this one. What do you mean when you say "get the authentication URL from a website" ?? I'll make some a guess: You have a website with a login screen. This screen has an id and password box + a button to "login." When you press login you're magically taken to a "logged in screen." If that's the case, the "authentication URL" is the URL the HTML form (the login screen) "posts" to. This is a backend script that handles the authentication. How this works is unknows. There are literally a gazillion ways this COULD be working. If you control this script, you already know how it works. If you don't, you'll have a hard time figuring it out without the help of the websites administrator.

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
08/29/13 09:22 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks David Is there away to pull that script from the website? The company that owns the website didn't create it and when I asked them for the authentication url they said they can give me full admin access to the site. Sorry for being unclear, but how can I find that script?

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
08/29/13 09:28 PM (10 years ago)
It'll be easy to find the URL (assuming I'm right and this is an HTML login page). But, that's not going to solve any problems for you. I'm not sure what you're up to but I'll be you want to use this script in the Login plugin in an iOS or Android app. If this is the case the URL that validates the id / password isn't going to return the data you want. You'll need to be able to not only find where this script it but what it does. If the site admins can't give you access to it you'll need to come up with a different approach.

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
08/29/13 09:30 PM (10 years ago)
Your right, I need to use it with the login plugin. I will email the network administrators, what is it that I should ask them for?

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
08/29/13 09:42 PM (10 years ago)
Something like this... "Hi website administrator, I'm working on a mobile application that has a login screen. This login screen needs to authenticate against your backend. The backend that's powering your website. Users registered in your system will be logging into this mobile app. Do you have the authority to create a simple .php script (or whatever backend technology you use) that can authenticate users for my mobile app? It's unlikley that you'll want to modify the existing script so I'll assume you'll want to make a new one. When users authenticate they send an HTTP request to a URL and the URL that receives this request needs to return either a valid or invalid response. That's all there is to it. A response would look like this: {"result":{"status":"valid","userGuid":"12345","userDisplayName":"John Smith", "userEmail":"[email protected]"}} Thanks for your time"

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
08/29/13 10:22 PM (10 years ago)
Thankyou so much David. Ive sent them an email and hopefully thy can get it done for me. Once again buzztouch has saved me.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
08/29/13 10:50 PM (10 years ago)
You're welcome. Can't quite make out the picture...what's the award? And..you can send the admin dude making the script (on that site) to this post if he has trouble. We can get them going if they need some pointers. I'm thinking they won't :-)

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
08/29/13 10:56 PM (10 years ago)
Oh it's the certificate I got for flying an aircraft solo for the first time. It was incredible. It's super stressful taking off and landing at the Gold Coast international airport but once up there is amazing.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
08/29/13 11:03 PM (10 years ago)
So wonderful! We have a few pilots on the forum. Me, @WolfTimJ and who knows who else. I'll never forget the day I flew a Cessna 152 by myself with my instructor standing on the ramp watching nervously. Awesome (and scary) feeling!!! @WolfTimJ took a bunch of us for rides in his bad-ass Mooney earlier this year while we did BuzzConn '13. Soooo cool!! Keep hackin', good things are in your future if you nail down this mobile stuff. later...

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
08/29/13 11:06 PM (10 years ago)
Thats awesome. I always wondered if there were many pilots on here. Theres another reason for me to try and make it to a buzzcon one day. Hopefully i can get this mobile stuff downpat and get good at it. Then ill be able to afford it. :) thanks again

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
09/16/13 06:55 PM (10 years ago)
Hi David, Just wondering as my admin has asked me about the authentication URL. This is what he said. "I'm the current web developer for the gProfiling website. I haven't done anything like this before. Will the username/password be sent in POST? if so, what are the indexes for these values?" Dunno what I should be saying to him? Thanks, Jeremy

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.