stevek
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 24, 2011
great neck
11/01/15 11:19 AM (8 years ago)

Error with png in Android Studio

Trying to upgrade an app to Android and I guess since the last time I tried, we now have to use Android Studio. OK, downloaded everything and all worked pretty well but then I added my png's to the drawable folder and now the app gives me an error, concerning the png called ssaturn.png. Can anybody give me an idea what might be wrong with this png especially since I have a feeling, once I fix this one, there will be other errors popping up regarding the other pngs? Thanks. Error:Execution failed for task ':app:mergeDebugResources'. > /Users/skronwith/Desktop/skyeventfinder-for-Android-Studio/app/src/main/res/drawable/ssaturn.png: Error: com.android.ide.common.process.ProcessException: org.gradle.process.internal.ExecException: Process 'command '/Users/skronwith/Desktop/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20140702-2/sdk/build-tools/21.1.2/aapt'' finished with non-zero exit value 42

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/01/15 03:38 PM (8 years ago)
Hi Steve, I was helping another use out once, and she had tons of errors related to PNG's. I couldn't figure out what the deal was until I decided to check and see if there was an issue with the file. Sure enough, after I ran them through a checker, it turns out none of the were valid PNG files. And we had the same problem until we did the check...fixed one, and the next file would pop up as bad. She had 200+ files! So, my first recommendation would be to run them through a PNG validator. If you do a Google search for 'png validator,' many results will be returned. I used pngcheck, and that worked like a charm. Hopefully this was the problem and it's all good now! Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 24, 2011
great neck
11/01/15 03:51 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks Mark, I'll try that though the same png files work fine in my IOS version of the app. Steve

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/01/15 03:52 PM (8 years ago)
It's always worth checking...Android seems to be much more particular than iOS. Mark

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/01/15 04:22 PM (8 years ago)
I second Marks comment. Some things, things that work on iOS do not similarly work on Android. Cheers! -- Smug

NicoRacing
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 25, 2013
Hyeres
11/02/15 12:36 AM (8 years ago)
It happened to me that an image with the extension .PNG in capital letters (which doesn't make any difference for Paint or other visual softwares) was not recognized under A-Studio, whereas the same file renamed with the extension .png in small letters worked. Nico

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/02/15 04:17 AM (8 years ago)
Seriously? Now *that* is picky. Glad you got it sussed out. Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.