Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 8    Views: 138

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
07/15/13 02:36 AM (10 years ago)

Custom HTML/Text Plugin Refresh problem (IOS)

Today I convinced myself that there is a bug to do with refresh on the IOS version of this plugin. I had suspected this for a while, but I am pretty sure now, so I thought I'd share. The problem is if I update a certain screen in the control panel based on the Custom HTML/Text Plugin, the app does not refresh. This doesn't affect all screens in an app based on the that plugin, nor does it seem to affect Android. I have a button menu, with a screen with some text and graphics in it, nothing complicated. The app has been published for 6 months, force refresh is enabled on the screen. A few weeks ago I updated the content, published, check on my android, then realised today the content was still wrong on the app when using my iPhone. Before when I spotted this, I thought there was a timing issue as the screen updated in the end, but not this time. I tried various ways to make it refresh. I removed the app from memory, clicked refresh from the home page, made another screen edit, republished from the control panel, nothing I did changed the screen content on the app. In the end, I created a new screen, added it to my menu, cut and pasted the content, deleted the offending screen from my menu and guess what - the news screen updates in the app! It seems that you can get a screen into a certain state and then you simply have to replace it.

appsolutely
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 05, 2011
UK
07/15/13 05:31 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Alan, This isn't going to help much but I am having a lot of similar problems with android. Custom HTML/Text Plugin pages will not load on the first attempt (is the main issue) refreshing the screen does work (but clunky). I am also having issues with Menu Simple and Custom HTML/Text screens not able to load at all. Replacing the screen does not seem to help. I haven't tested with iOS yet but I may end up with the same issues you have. Like I say, this doesn't help much with your issue but I feel your pain and there's possibly a general Buzztouch control panel issue?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/15/13 11:13 AM (10 years ago)
Cheers @appsolutely, a problem shared is a problem halved. On your problem, can I assume you've tried pasting in the latest config.txt into your build in eclipse?

appsolutely
Aspiring developer
UK
07/15/13 12:18 PM (10 years ago)
@AlanMac Yep tried updating the config data and rebuilding many times. I have aspects of this working in some apps but not in others, so I don't think it is necessarily something I'm doing wrong but more similar to your issue of "It seems that you can get a screen into a certain state" but mine are unrecoverable even after re-create. For example I have an app with a Menu Button screen leading to several Menu Simple screens no problem. Yet in another app the same scenario will not load even one Menu Simple screen from the Menu Button screen. If I change the Menu Simple to a Menu Button it works fine(but the aesthetics don't work with my app), change back to Menu Simple and it will not load the page. I will probably completely re-create the app in the control panel to see if that resolves it as I've tried everything else I can think of. I'm going to bang my head against the wall again for a few hours this evening so I'll let you know if I break through. Anyway, back to your problem... I've been having a lot of trouble getting the Custom HTML/Text pages to update properly in my android apps, I have to refresh the entire app over and over again until randomly it will update properly. I have even gone to the extent of completely uninstalling, updating config.txt, compiling and reinstalling just to get one page to update, then other times it updates almost immediately. These are the same pages I have trouble loading on the first attempt and virtually always have to refresh the page or click back and make the choice again (they almost always load on the second attempt). I had assumed this was just a bug with my old android or buzztouch that I would have to put up with but maybe there is more to this if it's affecting others and iOS. Thankfully I haven't published either of these apps yet. Cheers

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
07/16/13 08:45 AM (10 years ago)
Just checking on a few things: - BuzzTouch 2.0? - Using all lower-case names and only a-z characters for Android?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/16/13 10:00 AM (10 years ago)
If the pages eventually refresh, could it be related to a flakey internet connection?

appsolutely
Aspiring developer
UK
07/16/13 03:08 PM (10 years ago)
@AlanMac I got to the bottom of my issues. I had to re-download the entire sourcecode and compile. I guess my original download didn't have all the relevant files for the Menu Simple page as I hadn't included them at that stage. So just updating the config.txt isn't enough in some cases. I had a lot of trouble updating an android app earlier today until I noticed that my wifi connection was very poor so I would say yes a flakey connection could well be a problem. But are you not testing this on both android and ios on the same connection? With no issues on android? If it was your connection that's the problem I would expect that to affect all other pages in the app and android as well.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/17/13 01:41 AM (10 years ago)
Hi @appsolutely, I think you have three problems to my one! I was thinking the wifi connection might explain your issue with "pages will not load on the first attempt (is the main issue)", if copying in the latest config.txt into your build before copying it to the device for testing didn't. Also, you found that the problem of using a plugin that wasn't in the build when you downloaded it from your control panel. My problem is sadly none of those that, but you explained it very well "I have to refresh the entire app over and over again until randomly it will update properly". For me, when I replaced the one page causing the issue, the fault went away. I just can't identify why this is the case. Alan

appsolutely
Aspiring developer
UK
07/17/13 10:57 AM (10 years ago)
@AlanMac I have more than 3 problems but I don't think I'll find all the answers here :) Spot on about the plugins. I've been out of the app world for a while so I'm new to buzztouch 2.0 and the way I had understood it was the config.txt was all encompassing. But hey everyday's a school day! I am still left with the Custom HTML page refresh issue in android. I will try recreating new pages tonight to see if this gets round it. That should tell us if we are suffering from the same or very similar issue in iOS and android. I'm having trouble with all pages of that type in the same app whereas you have said only one page affected and only in iOS (the plot thickens).

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.