David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
02/06/15 02:11 AM (9 years ago)

BT_info.plist file changed

Small change but worth noting (because I'm so darned good and letting everyone know when I change something - giggle. The BT_info.plist file in your project should have two keys added to it. The download server includes these now so future downloads will include it. Key: NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription Value: We use location information responsibly. Key: NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription Value: We use location information responsibly. Comments: These two seemingly innocent keys are REQUIRED these days and should have been included awhile ago. The text (in the Value) is the text that pops up when a user is prompted to allow location access by the app. On some devices in some cases the user will never be prompted if these don't exist. If your app doesn't use location information they will not hurt by being in the .plist.

fusionsch
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 28, 2010
Montreux Switze...
02/06/15 04:16 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the tip, David!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/06/15 04:43 AM (9 years ago)
If your current project is having location issues with iOS8, I wrote a little tutorial on implementing this, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115208762/iOS8LocFix.pdf Cheers! -- Smug

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
02/06/15 05:18 AM (9 years ago)
I wonder if adding BOTH these keys will break anything. I'm suggesting that both get added - in case your app, or a plugin in your app, uses either. @smug's gorgeous tutorial (link above) suggests only one should be used. There seems to be some debate about this amongst the Dev community. The download server included both. Let me know if things break because of it. I'll let you know if I learn more. Well done @smug, you're pdf is a thousand times prettier than my midnight keyboard job.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/06/15 06:13 AM (9 years ago)
Truth be told, I only added one 'key' to the plist, but at first 'both' calls in the startLocationUpdates were enabled, and nothing 'bad' happened. It 'seemed' like it paid attention to the first call, and ignored the second. But it certainly didn't break anything. I think the important thing is the code for the startLocationUpdates method... the plist is basically just 'setting up' the alert text, it seems. And having both "calls" in the startLocationUpdates won't break it, but it's possible the snobs at apple might ask why both are being used, or something silly like that. You never know. Cheers! -- Smug

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
02/06/15 07:30 AM (9 years ago)
Touche' (Apple) My suspicion is it will look for the appropriate key depending on the way the location manager is being asked to start. When the app is running or all the time even when the app is in the background. This was the change recently in terms of how you start the location manager to begin with. Far more difficult than it should be but it is my opinion that iOS is becoming more logical.

Sherry
Lost but trying
Reg: Jan 05, 2013
South Africa
02/06/15 02:07 PM (9 years ago)
Is this automatically included on downloads from self hosted servers or only buzztouch servers

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 05, 2011
Rhode Island
02/06/15 07:26 PM (9 years ago)
@sherry, they both call from the same API I believe, so its my understanding that this update will be included in the self-hosted as well

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
02/07/15 06:49 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the info David and Smug! (I got stuck on page 8 ;) David- Are there any near term iOS 8 BT updates that will include the changes in Smug's PDF, or is it best to implement those code changes now, and watch for announcements of future updates? Thanks again guys!

Chris from Staffor...
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 14, 2013
Stafford
06/29/15 06:29 AM (8 years ago)
I have issues on one of my apps that seems to have been after the ios update. Strangely my other two published apps are unaffected. The problem is with driving directions - I presume from this thread that if I download the project and republish it will now be fixed. Please let me know Thanks

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.